Friday, August 6, 2010

Patients are more than just a source of aggravation

I cannot explain how darned excited I get when someone has good taste in television programs.  I'm talking specifically about patients at work.  I've not had proper cable for over a year.  So when I see the Food Network on in someone's room, the only decent thing to do is to quit working, sit down, and watch with them.  Hell with that weeping wound dressing change or incessant IV pump beeping.  Only kidding, of course.  But when my patient and I began to talk about baking, she told me she'd share with me one of her best recipes.  It's for strawberry nut bread, and she had this particular recipe published in a magazine back in the 70s.  She said that she makes it every year, but her health has really dwindled recently, and this is the first year she hasn't made it. 

I tried it last night for Daniel's birthday.  And.  Totally a recipe worth the ink on paper.




FC's Strawberry Nut Bread


2 c sugar
3 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2-3 t cinnamon, depending on personal preference

4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/4 c canola oil
2 c fresh strawberries, cut into quarters or eighths
1/2 c walnuts or pecans




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 2 loaf pans.


Sieve the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Create a well in the middle.
Add eggs and oil, stir until just combined.
Add strawberries then nuts, stir after each addition.

Divide batter between loaf pans.  Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out (mostly) clean.


FC said to let it cool completely before cutting.  It's pretty crumbly.  She also said that it is absolutely divine with strawberry or plain cream cheese.  I had picked some up yesterday morning before Daniel came over, but we never touched it.  This quickbread does not need it.

Enjoy!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not that much of sweet snacker like cakes & such, but my tiny ration of the one piece J brought home had me hankering for more. At first I thought it looked dry & overbaked, but no, it was actually a sweet crust hiding soft crumbs, with the nutty overtones. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should make her one, unless she dead. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robb Griskargot, you's an arsehole.

    ReplyDelete