Saturday, April 11, 2009

At Long Last, the Lovely Lumbini

I finally made it!!! No bandhs this time, although we were told there was a good chance we wouldn't make it back to Chitwan because of an impending strike. The monastatic (someone please correct me if need be; is this a proper word?) zones of Lumbini are set up like small towns if you will, with a plethora of monasteries that each country has come to Nepal to build. We stayed at the Korean Monastery. They feed you breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and have very nice dorms (complete with mosquito nets and hot water!!!) where visitors and monks can stay for a donation only. They have evening as well as morning worship which we attended at each opportunity. I was really impressed not only with the monks and nuns' ability to chant for an hour straight, but even with their ability to sit on their knees for a greater part of the time. I simply could not get comfortable. Actually, being uncomfortable seemed to be the theme for me in this Lumbini trip. I was the most sick I'd been the entire time since arriving in Nepal. I had to stay in bed for the entire afternoon on Wednesday, while the rest of my buddies went bicycling to the World Peace Pagoda (yet another!) and the various monasteries around. By the end of the afternoon, however, I forced myself to get up and go myself. I was not going to waste this beautiful opportunity!!!




View from the Sal tree, birth site of Lord Buddha.


This week concluded my health post in Chitwan. In our last days at the hospital, Jessica and I moved from the ED to the Labor & Delivery ward. It's funny. Here, I saw the only birth I've ever witnessed. And it's true what you learn in school. South Asian culture and births. Very stoic. I don't think that woman batted an eyelash, although I was cringing every second.

Now I'm back in KTM for my last week. Plans:
  • bungee jump 160 meters
  • eat cake
  • go to the Tibetan border
  • eat paneer
  • visit Bhaktapur
  • eat donuts
  • get a Rs 500 pedicure
  • eat more muesli with curd
  • fly to Mt. Everest
  • never eat daal bhat again
Actually, in terms of daal bhat, Rupa my host motha was like no otha. I think I got really lucky with her cooking skills.


3 comments:

  1. Wow. It's hard to believe your trips coming to an end. I can't wait to see the photos and really hope you have a fantastic week.
    & your delivery sounds better than mine. It went well, the entire family was so kind, but I wish I'd had ear plugs. :)
    Take care!
    -Dj

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're taking bets what god you will come back worshipping ... j/k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle came back to the bacon god.

    ReplyDelete