Thursday, April 16, 2009

BOINGGGGGGGGGGG!

I'm not sure why this trip is so filled with adventure sports. I'm not usually the type of person. First the paragliding and now the bungy. Did I mention that even busing in Nepal is an adventure sport (thanks Uncle Juanlu!)?

Yesterday, Jessica, Juan, and I woke up before the crack of dawn to head on over to the Bhote Khosi River. Jessica chose not to jump, but rather to accompany us for the ride. We didn't think we'd make it. I mean, literally, make it to the destination. It wasn't a question of guts. There was another strike on the way. We sat in the blazing sun (but of course!) for a few hours before the travel agency we were with told us we could choose to get off the bus, walk across the road block, and then another bus from near the Tibetan border would pick us up. We started walking not even for 3 minutes before being informed that tourists buses would be allowed through the blockage. Away we went!

The bungy jump...what to say? It was a 160m drop (second highest jump in the world, following Switzerland) down to the Bhote Khosi River. And it wasn't just the river staring us in the face, it was the massive boulders and trees below. Umm...is this safe?

I would totally do this again. After I arrived safely on the riverbank below, I thought I could not do it again. At least not for several more years. On the ride back to KTM, I started wishing I had done a second jump. Hmmm...next jump...Switzerland?

The 3 of us were supposed to go to the Tibetan border and stay the night last night. The site of the bungy jump is so close, so why not? We were going to go to the town of Kodari, where there are wondrous hot springs to give you a break from the Kathmandu dust. Going there yesterday, however, was not an option. Since there was the strike (this is the second day of this particular strike, might I add), no local buses were running. No border for us.

Tomorrow will be my last night in Nepal.




4 comments:

  1. A-m-a-z-i-n-g! Glad you got to bungee..that is wonderful. Hope the views were lovely as well. Hope you make it back safely. Hugs.
    Brit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordana! Where are the pictures of this amazing experience? Please post on blog asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see all these photos when you return!! (And I quit my job at the Vet clinic. And don't start at Cleveland Clinic til May 4th- I'm ready to help you move!! :) )

    -Dj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rania...I'm trying to figure out the kinks in Picasa. I'll have to wait until My Mother the Computer Genius gets home to help me ;)
    DJ...it's about time you said Sayanara Suckers!

    ReplyDelete