Thursday, March 19, 2009

My name is Triskett, and this Is my Real Job

Went white water rafting on the Bagmati on the way to Chitwan. Very nice, a bit chilly, and the rapids weren't as large as I'd have liked. I noticed a few differences between rafting those West Virginy waters and the Bagmati...

Instead of:
fishermen
trout
herrons
wooden bridges overhead
wide trunked trees on the shores
grass & greenery

You have:
stone miners
catfish, silverfish, and sardines

cows lining the shore
rickety scaffolding on a pulley system
massive, massive boulders
landslide paths

While in Sauraha, Chitwan, we also had to climb a tree to escape a mother rhino and her baby (may have been the first time I had a need to run for my life), canoe with crocodiles, visit museums, see the Tharu people's captivating dance, get used as a napkin by a 6 month old elephant, and ride an elephant throught the jungle as well. I'll never do that again. So beastly, too much even for me.

Arrived in Bharatpur, Chitwan yesterday morning. The family is very pleasant and Tariq & Juan, the other 2 volunteers with me, have been helping me acclimate to the area quite well. I can't start working in the hospital until Sunday because I'm having a uniform made. Total came to Rs 275, or about 3 USD. Not too shabby for a tailored dress. Not sure of the placement yet, but I think I can rotate throughout the hospital. They have medical/surgical, pediatrics, OR, maternity...the regular stuff. Can't wait!!!

This internet/power situation is so terrible. The power went out on me twice just now, after I had written two, count TWO, posts for this thing. I can't stand to retype another book.



8 comments:

  1. But Jordana -- you DID ride an elephant already when you were about 4yrs old, in the parking lot of Spa*kle when the circus came to town. I imagine the jungle floor is a little more rough than a paved parking lot. I wonder if we can find that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give up ... who/what is the significance of Triskett and what's with his Job???

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way maj. I can't believe you. Remember rafting in WV with the Smiglas?? Triskett was the slave driver. He got all uppity about his gig.

    I said something about Sparkle elephant rides in the first few posts of that session, but the darn computer kicked me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I guess "Triskett" didn't make that much impression on me to remember him -- if I did remember him it would probably be remembered as "kid" to this old lady :-)

    I do remember the Funyuns kid tho' -- he had the sleepiest eyes -- I was thinking he looked odd because we had driven up to 10000 ft higher altitude & we were all a bit woozy. And that wasn't the Grand Canyon, I think it was in Wyoming at the top of the Beartooth Highway with its dramatic side drops right next to the car lanes. Or maybe I'm just remembering everything wrong, you "kids" have younger fresher memories ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jordana, the image of you shimmying up a tree for dear life has just made my morning.
    Can't wait to hear what you get yourself into next. :)
    -Dj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jealous. Little did you know that riding an elephant is one of my life goals!! Or maybe we discussed this, because for some strange reason, I do remember you telling me about elephants at Sparkle, because I was quite upset that my parents somehow missed out on this opportunity!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Kels, you should change your life goal from riding an elephant to riding a tiger. They beat those elephants so hard it wasn't even cool.

    DJ, I had quite a lot of help getting up that tree :)

    ReplyDelete